A mixing bowl brings limitless benefits for you in the kitchen. You can use it to mix and prepare your favorite item at ease. Also, it allows you to mix the food ingredients without worrying about items spilling off the bowl.
But what is a mixing bowl used for in reality? For instance, can you use it to mix everything you want? Also, is it is possible to mix anything on any type of mixing bowl?
These questions are crucial because mixing bowls are made of various materials, including stainless steel, ceramic, or glass. Each of these different mixing bowls supports different usage to mix food ingredients for cooking.
If you are a beginner, you will hard time understanding these bowls variations for mixing and know which bowl to use when properly. Thus, your one-stop solution is to give this article a couple of minutes of reading and get rid of such confusion forever.
A Guideline on What Is A Mixing Bowl Used For
From whipping eggs or flour to mixing fruits and prepare the dough, a mixing bowl allows you to perform everything. But you have to understand that not all mixing bowl allows you to mix anything in it. Various mixing bowl with different manufacturing material is ideal for mixing different food ingredients.
The following short description should help you with the cause-
- Whipping food ingredients: You may need to whip eggs or flour for cakes and other baked items. You should do it in non-metal bowls as metal may be contaminated with the whipped item during the mixing time.
- Dough: Dough is essential for preparing pizza or tortillas at home. You can quickly prepare the perfect dough on any mixing bowl type. The bowl, however, should be deep enough to accommodate the flour and water for preparing the dough correctly.
- Fruits: You may want a mixing bowl to prepare fruit salads or custards of different kinds. A ceramic or glass-made mixing bowl will work best in this regard. Plus, you can use the ceramic bowl to serve the fruit salad directly.
- Oil: If you have to mix oil with meats or fishes for marinating before cooking, you should use the glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl for this purpose. It would help you mix the items with oil better, and also, ceramic and glass bowls are easy to clean.
- Meat and fishes: When you marinate meats or fishes to cook them later, using the ceramic or stainless steel made bowls are the best. The bowl should be deep and large enough so you can hand mix the items properly.
- Vinegar: You can use any mixing bowl for vinegar. Yet, chefs and expert cookers prefer using ceramic and glass mixing bowls for vinegar.
- Various salads: Salads can be of different kinds, including fruits, meats, and fish salads. While the ceramic mixing bowl is best for fruit salads, meat or fish salad should be mixed in a glass or stainless steel bowl. It will help you mix them and prepare the salad better.
Tips on Cleaning and Maintaining the Mixing Bowl
Cleaning a mixing bowl has three various methods. It includes basic cleaning, dishwashing, and ideally disinfecting the bowl.
For basic cleaning, remove the bowl from the mixer and put it sink. It should be full of soapy water with proper warmness. Allow the bowl to soak into the warm soapy water. It would make the removal of sticky food ingredients quicker and easier.
When the bowl is soaked for a few minutes, and the sticky food ingredients have softened, use a microfiber to rub off the remaining residual from it. Instead of standard cleaning, you can use the dishwasher to clean off the bowl properly. You will have to run the dishwasher for its full cycle to clean the bowl.
Finally, disinfect it by rubbing lemon on the entire surface. Then, air dry it before storage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Do I need to clean the mixing bowl after each use?
Yes, you must clean the mixing bowl after every use. It would help you maintain health and sanitary in the kitchen. If you don’t clean the bowl and keep it untidy, it will become the breeding ground of viruses and bacteria.
- What is the ideal size for a mixing bowl?
Mixing bowls can range from ½ quart to 7 quarts. You will have to determine your tasks necessary to get the right-sized mixing bowl. For instance, you will need a 3-quart bowl for preparing the muffin batter.
Mixing bowls are one of the best kitchen inventions you will ever see. When you know what a mixing bowl is used for, you can use it to accomplish different tasks. From preparing the pizza dough to the mixing of muffin batter, the bowl can be used for various chores.
Nonetheless, you should clean the mixing bowl properly after each use. It would help you maintain the healthiness of the bowl for a better life.